Holistic addiction treatment is a comprehensive approach to addiction recovery that considers the whole person—body, mind, and spirit. Holistic treatment focuses on healing the entire person, not just the addiction. It also involves treatment of the underlying causes of addiction and the development of healthy coping skills.
A holistic approach to healing has been found to be more effective than traditional treatment in helping people stay sober over the long term. At Texas Recovery Center, we believe holistic addiction treatment to be beneficial to people healing from addiction. We offer this type of treatment along with other addiction therapy programs for our patients in Texas.
What Is Holistic Therapy?
Holistic therapy is something that many people often misunderstand. While some forms of holistic therapy use alternative medicine and natural treatments, it’s much more complex than those suggestions indicate. Holistic medicine integrates conventional and alternative therapies to prevent and treat disease. Most importantly, it promotes optimal health. Holistic therapy supports optimal health by:
- Treating the whole person
- Addressing all aspects of health, including physical, emotional, mental, social, and spiritual
- Considering the person’s lifestyle and environment
- Using a variety of approaches to encourage self-healing
Holistic activities may be helpful because it attacks addiction on several different levels. Traditional evidence-based treatment modalities are the focus of our treatment programs, but holistic activities are used to enhance the recovery process and promote better overall well-being. Our team at Texas Recovery Center understands that addiction is a complex disease requiring a comprehensive treatment approach. Our treatments and programs are designed with this in mind, and our goal is to help patients heal on all levels so they can live a happy, healthy, and sober life.
Holistic Recovery Approach
A holistic recovery approach is an integrative and comprehensive approach to addiction recovery. It recognizes that addiction is a chronic disease that requires more than just abstinence from drugs or alcohol. It also involves treatment of the underlying causes of addiction and developing healthy coping skills.
A holistic approach combines traditional evidence-based treatment with alternative and holistic therapies to address all aspects of health—physical, mental, emotional, social, and spiritual. For example, individual therapy helps patients touch on personal issues that cause addiction and allows them to work through each issue with a trained specialist. On the other hand, art activities for addiction may enhance a person’s well-being by letting them express themselves creatively.
Integrating Alternative Approaches into Holistic Treatment
Although holistic programming requires traditional medical therapies, it also allows you to integrate various alternative approaches into your treatment. Some popular alternative programs for addiction include:
- Acupuncture – Helps reduce withdrawal and detoxification symptoms while also managing the cravings and muscle aches that come with recovery.
- Hypnosis – This may help eliminate your need for drugs and improve your self-esteem.
- Meditation and Prayer – Often give people with addiction the focus and support they need to recover.
- Biofeedback – This treatment uses machines that test your brain waves and help you better understand the state of mind you experience when you are having craving symptoms.
- Herbal therapy – Herbs such as ginseng, kaya, and valerian are used to increase detoxification effectiveness, generate relaxation during anxious moments, and as a sleep aid.
- Yoga – The ancient art of stretching, breathing, meditation, and relaxation may increase your flexibility, calm your mind, and increases your understanding.
Talk with a specialist at Texas Recovery Center before implementing any of these methods to find one that works for you. We can help you discover what is best suited for your addiction treatment.
Discover More About Texas Recovery Center’s Holistic Addiction Treatment
Holistic therapy is an integral part of addiction treatment. It is a therapy that takes an integrative and comprehensive approach to healing. If you or anyone you love is interested in using holistic therapy, please don’t hesitate to contact us today at Texas Recovery Center. We can help you sort through your options and connect you with a therapy center that will give you the healing help you need to master your addiction and emerge from it as a fresh new person. Call us at 844.230.5931.